Positive thinking is a mental and emotional attitude that focuses on the bright side of life and expects positive results.” … Having a positive mindset means making positive thinking a habit, continually searching for the silver lining and making the best out of any situation you find yourself in.
A mindset is essentially your emotional response to normal daily activities. This is important for health and quality of life.[ You may be unable to change your job, your family, where you live, or other major constraints that may underlie negative thinking. But you can approach life’s frustrations with positivity by challenging negative thoughts and improving your outlook on life.
Follow the steps below.
- Identify your negative thoughts. Cognitive behavioral therapy practitioners believe that we have the ability to change our behavior by changing our thoughts. Thoughts are the catalyst that lead to behaviors. The first step in controlling your thoughts is awareness.
2. Keep a thought journal. If you have trouble identifying your negative thoughts, consider keeping a thought journal. In this journal, write down the way that you perceive different things: yourself, your work or school, your parents, politics, the environment, and so on.
- This will force you to pay attention to the critical voice in your head and listen to what it’s saying.
- Take a few minutes every day to recall times when you thought something negative.
3. Quiet your inner critic by focusing on the positive. When you hear the voice in your head say something negative, take a pause and substitute the negative for something positive.
- For example, if your mind keeps saying how much you hate your principal, you can say, “This is a tough job and he’s doing the best he can.
4. Keep a gratitude journal. Record instances that occur in your life that you are grateful for. Express them in a journal, letter, or other kind of writing. Write down some of the things that you’re thankful for. Write in this journal a couple of times every week.
- Research shows that a gratitude journal is more effective when the person writes about a handful of instances in depth, rather than a laundry list. Spend a few minutes reliving and savoring these moments that you write about.
- The gratitude journal will help you remember the positive things in your life.
5. Practice positive imagery. Imagine yourself in successful scenarios with as much detail as possible. Keep the negative thoughts like “I can’t do this” at bay. Instead, focus on how you can do something: “I can finish this project. I will ask for a little help and it will get done.”
- When you strive to be confident in your activities and outlook, you will increase your potential for actually achieving your goals.
Hope you find this useful? if yes. give it a thumbs up, leave us a comment below and help to share link.