
Iran has confirmed that it responded to a fresh peace proposal from the United States aimed at ending the ongoing conflict between both nations.
Iranian authorities said discussions are still ongoing despite local media reports describing Washington’s demands as too harsh and unrealistic. The conflict, which began on February 28, has seen both countries exchange proposals in search of a resolution, while a fragile ceasefire has remained in effect since April 8.
Speaking during a press briefing on Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmaeil Baqaei, said Tehran had already communicated its concerns to the US side through a Pakistani mediator.
Baqaei maintained that Iran’s demands, including the release of frozen Iranian assets and the removal of longstanding sanctions, remain key issues consistently defended by the country’s negotiating team.
He also insisted that the US should pay compensation for damages caused by the war, describing the conflict as “illegal and unjustified.” According to him, Iran is fully prepared for any possible military escalation.
Iran’s Fars News Agency reported on Sunday that the US presented a five-point proposal which allegedly demanded that Iran operate only one nuclear facility and transfer its highly enriched uranium stockpile to the United States.
The report further claimed that Washington refused to release even 25 percent of Iran’s frozen assets or compensate Tehran for war-related damages. It also stated that the US would only end hostilities if Iran agrees to formal peace negotiations.
Another Iranian outlet, Mehr News Agency, criticised the US proposal, accusing Washington of demanding concessions it failed to secure during the conflict. The agency described the American conditions as “excessive” and warned that they could stall negotiations.
In an earlier proposal submitted last week, Iran reportedly demanded a complete end to the war across all fronts, including Israel’s military operations in Lebanon, alongside the removal of a US naval blockade imposed on Iranian ports since April 13.
Tehran also called for the lifting of all US sanctions and the release of frozen Iranian assets abroad.
According to Fars, Iran’s proposal also stressed that Tehran would continue overseeing the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a crucial global energy route that Iran has largely restricted since the war began.
