
The president of the Iranian Football Federation has revealed that FIFA approved the relocation of the country’s World Cup training base from the United States to Mexico.
According to Mehdi Taj, Iran will now camp in the Mexican border city of Tijuana, though FIFA is yet to officially confirm the decision.
Iran had initially been assigned Tucson, Arizona as its tournament base, but growing security concerns linked to the ongoing Middle East conflict created uncertainty around the team’s participation plans.
The tournament, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, will see Iran face New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium on June 21 in Los Angeles, before taking on Egypt in Seattle on June 26.
Taj explained that all participating nations must receive FIFA approval for their World Cup base camps and said Iran’s request was accepted after a series of discussions with FIFA and tournament officials in Istanbul, alongside a virtual meeting held in Tehran with FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom.
He stated that the team would now be based in Tijuana, describing the location as close to the Pacific coast and bordering the United States.
Taj also noted that the new base offers easier travel arrangements for Iran’s matches, especially the two fixtures in Los Angeles, which he said would now require only a 55-minute flight compared to the longer journey from Tucson.
Iran are currently preparing for the World Cup in Antalya, southern Turkey.
Earlier this month, Taj disclosed that Iranian players were still awaiting visas for the competition, which begins on June 11.
The Iranian Football Federation has also submitted a list of 10 conditions to FIFA regarding the team’s participation, including visa approval for players, coaches and officials who completed military service with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
US Secretary of State previously said Iranian players would be welcomed into the country, although individuals linked to the IRGC could face restrictions.
Taj was among several federation officials denied entry into Canada ahead of FIFA’s annual congress in Vancouver after Canadian authorities reportedly revoked his visa over alleged ties to the IRGC.
Some members of the Iranian squad reportedly visited the US embassy in Ankara on Thursday to process visa applications for the tournament.
